- posted: November 26 @ 6:53pm
Today was rough. After 2 weeks of nonstop in-bed-ing, today i got up at 6:30am to start some coals, remove the turkey from the brine, dry it and apply the dry rub and throw it in the smoker for an 8 hour smoke. i checked it every half hour or so to make sure the temperature was where it needed to be and that enough smoke was happening.
while the turkey was smoking megan and my sister (who is in town from new york) and i made brunch (mini quiches, sausage balls and a fruit & cheese platter). my parents came over just before noon for brunch and to hang out while the three of us continued to prepare the main feast.
in addition to the smoked turkey (which was by far the best turkey i have ever had), the three of us made the following:
1) my homemade green bean casserole with a white wine, mushroom & sharp cheddar cream sauce (screw you campbell's, mine's WAY better)
2) potato, cheese and mushroom pie
3) sweet potato casserole with cranberries, megan's mom's homemade apple sauce and a crunchy pecan brown sugar topping
4) cornbread and sage stuffing (it had 2 sticks of butter in it! paula deen would be so proud!)
5) cranberry, orange & maple bourbon glaze for the smoked turkey
6) for dessert, megan made a rum pumpkin pie and my sister made her famous brownies.
all around an awesome day and the best thanksgiving meal i've ever had. but, as a result of all the activity and being on my feet literally all day, i am severely worn out. my feet, knees and back are sore and my lungs hurt really badly.
what i am most thankful for: my amazing wife there behind me to my right. i would be lost without her. thank you, megan. i love you very much.